ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] RE: A Call to Harms

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: A Call to Harms
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:45:48 -0400

Harm to competition also harms consumers.  In fact that is the whole basis for
intellectual property, unfair competition, anti-trust and unfair trade
practices law, so not sure why you can so easily dismiss.  Governments also
have expressed concerns in their GAC statements (and they do speak for their
citizens).

I appreciate the examples you have pointed to?  Sony, the Amazon Kindle,
Grocery Stores.  You have provided only half the story though (as have the
ICANN economists).  And its only the side of the story supported by the
existing registrars.  In each of those examples, not one of them has any
requirement to use distributors that are approved by another third party entity
(ICANN).  There is NO requirement for equal access to any of its distributors
that it chooses to use.  Each company, like apple, Amazon, etc., is free to
negotiate whatever deal it wants with its distributors depending on a number of
factors that are market based.

So the questions remains, do all of the benefits you have espoused still apply
if you open up CO/VI, but do nothing with doing away with the requirement to
use registrars picked by ICANN, providing them equal access, etc.  The answer
is that for all the "benefits" you have raved about, the requirements of having
to use a distribution channel and treat them all equally, etc., dramatically
mitigates those benefits.

Perhaps your next analysis can take that into consideration.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.