ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:33:15 -0400

> In theory, from day one there should have been multiple TLDs by
> multiple TLD providers.

But there wasn't. So Economic theory, if that is the "theory" you are talking
about, _does_ tell you useful things about what kind of consequences you can
expect when you artificially restrict the number of TLDs, as we have done for
years.

> In theory, from day 1, we should never have a
> an artificial distinction between registries and registrars.

Wrong. Economic analysis often concludes that if one element of a two-stage
production process is monopolized and another element is potentially
competitive, you might try to separate the two.

> In theory today we should have no distinction between registries, registrars
> and
> resellers.

The point, however, is that economic theory gives you some basis for analyzing
the actual consequences of having such distinctions.

> In theory, from an economic standpoint, there should be no
> equal access requirements.

Utterly false. If a pair of TLDs (.com, .net) constitutes 80% of the market and
are both controlled by a single company, then from an economic standpoint it
makes a great deal of sense to have equal access requirements - to .com and
.net. There are precedents in many areas, local-long distance telecom after
1982 being an example. The theory also tells you that you may not need the same
access requirements to a nondominant, new TLD as you do for a dominant,
long-established one.

> In theory, Registries should be able to use...In theory....

etc, etc. By making these comments I presume you think you are somehow
discrediting " "economic analysis" or "theory." You are only revealing your
ignorance of both.