ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: A Call to Harms

  • To: "vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gn >> \"'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'\"" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: A Call to Harms
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:02:23 -0400

Volker,

Nothing in and of itself is harmful just the same as nothing in and of itself
is beneficial.  All of it involves possibilities.  For example, allowing VI/CO
does not automatically mean there will be innovation or consumer benefits.
Similarly, allowing VI/CO does not automatically mean there will be harms.

And as the economists said yesterday (and many times before that), the use of
registrars in general does not automatically have consumer benefits.  In fact,
in many cases, absent market power, there are a number of detrimental effects
of requiring equal access among registrars for consumers.

So, I understand your desire as a registrar to be allowed to own both a
registry and registrar, but are you also willing to do away with the equal
access requirements as well as the requirement to have to use ICANN-accredited
registrars in the first place.

If you are truly willing to do this, then I would be happy to discuss your
proposal for open VI/CO on a serious basis.  If you are only willing to open up
the registry side, but not touch the registrar side, then I think we have some
more work to do.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.