ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report

  • To: "'Richard Tindal'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:59:24 -0400

Again, an obvious distinction to be made here on the basis of market power.
Which is what the CAM proposal does.
There is no way around the fact that regulatory arrangement allowable need to
vary based on market power.  And the best way to handle that is via a CESP for
initial review and national/transnational expert governmental agencies.

b.   If we want RIM to be able to do it at the second level, via a TLD,  we
will have to think through whether we want Verisign (say) doing it in .COM or
me (say) doing it in .WEB.  I think it will be complex to define rules about
that.  The IPC Paper takes a stab at one dimension of the issue,  namely  --
'what is a brand?' --  but I think there will be a lot of debate before rules
are settled on that.