ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:18:21 -0700

Agreed.  I think you have made a good point within one 'harm' that is the
severity and/or is it harm in opinion or fact.

There may be registries that are intending to auction a small allocation of
domains to help offset the costs of the application and those that the many,
many, many delays have introduced.

Many view auction as acceptible and reasonable; some do not.  This seems a
difference of opinion.

The auction 'harm' seems a lot smaller to me than front-running activity
through the use of epp-check, whois, or dns logs.

It would be helpful in our work to run through Mikey's list of harms and for
each:
a) identify some gauge of the severity of a harm (scale of 1-5, 1 being
least, 5 being highest), and

b) if it is one of opinion or proven in fact, in addition to

c) if it is hypothetical or has been sighted in practice, and

d) who is claiming harm, and

e) who is allegedly harmed.

Did I miss any of the elements we should look at?

I think that perhaps even taking a poll (ooh goody!)  would help us to
identify those harms that we should focus our energy on.

If we were to identify those a-e elements per harm, we'd quickly recognize
those of opinion over actuality.

-jothan

jothan frakes

On Jul 27, 2010 6:08 PM, "Antony Van Couvering" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>