ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:43:25 -0700

The ICANN decision-making model rests on a belief -- and it is only a belief,
because no evidence can be adduced to support it -- that people are
fundamentally good and want to make things better.   Perhaps indeed they are,
but people's ideas of what "good" and "better" are vary widely.

The failure is in recognizing the limitations of a consensus model.
Disagreement will always have an important advantage -- only a few people can
create a disagreement, while an agreement takes everyone.   War is
ontologically superior to peace, as the philosopher said.

A consensual deliberative model requires for its success, among other things, a
shared set of values, such as is found among Quakers or IETF standard setters
or the Royal Society.   Consensus can be wrecked by any small group with
determination, which can easily spring up where people's livelihoods are at
stake.

As ICANN grows larger and attracts more members, the problem will grow worse,
because the values of the group will become more and more fragmented as they
begin to reflect those of the world at large.  Furthermore, the proceedings are
likely to become even slower as the group struggles to find common ground even
as it becomes rarer and rarer. People will disagree and then someone has to
decide.  It's what the Board is for.   If we are to preserve a model of
consensus within ICANN, we must be willing to hand over some decisions to the
Board.

Unfortunately, that handing over of decision-making power to the Board will
lead to the demise of "bottom up" policy making.  As ICANN grows more diverse,
and less consensus is reached, the "executive branch" of ICANN will be
strengthened, at the expense of the SOs.   The primary, perhaps only, benefit
to a model of decision by majority vote, or even supermajority vote, is that is
removes the veto power from small groups while still retaining the decision
power within a large group.  At ICANN, the decision power is with the Board,
which has already reserved to itself all powers, to be used in its absolute
discretion.  It will use those powers more and more as the community makes
fewer decisions, and makes them more slowly.

This is the reality already -- there are those in this group who lobby
furiously -- but they don't lobby us, they lobby the Board.

Antony

On Sep 29, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:

> The failure to reach consensus, may not be a failure to some, but whatever
> the board will come up with will make it become a failure to some.
> Effectively handing a decision we were tasked with making back to the board
> for them to find an adequate solution feels like a failure of ICANN decision
> making processes to me.
>
> Volker
>> As many of you know, I have long held the view that failure to reach
>> consensus is not a failure.  It likely means that there may not be
>> consensus and that is very useful information and an indication that
>> market forces should be allowed to work.
>>
>> Chuck

>>> what (if any) work should be done on VI prior to the next round of