ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: "vertical integration wg" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: "Drazek, Keith" <kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:49:19 -0400

Eric,

How did you arrive at your conclusions related to incumbent
participation? I may have misunderstood your point, but the VIWG is (and
should be) focused only on policies surrounding vertical integration of
registry and registrar functionality within a single entity, and/or
levels of cross-ownership between registry and registrar entities. Well
before the VIWG was formed, the GNSO new gTLD PDP process discussed
ideas relating to incumbent involvement, but there was never any
measurable support for limiting their involvement or eligibility.
Moreover, the ICANN General Council ruled years ago that policy
development could not focus on one player or one subset of players in
the industry. I think I follow your logic to a point, but I'm not sure
how you arrived at the conclusion that existing registry operators
couldn't compete for new TLDs or potentially gain market share in the
first round...unless you're referring to market share at the
retail/registrar level? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Keith