ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Updated tables and next meeting timing

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Updated tables and next meeting timing
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:31:19 +0200

Avri

For clarity, does this mean that we are reverting to the original text prior to the small group call? The NCUC undertook to provide commentary on the updated text which was much cleaner and simpler.

I have copied it here below:

"Recommendation 20

An application that is targeted to a specific community may be rejected if it is determined that there is substantial opposition to it from significant established institutions within the targeted community."

If we are to incorporate Robin's suggestion then I would suggest that be done in an implementation guideline and be included, along with the definitions of terms which you had already begun and which need to be discussed today.

In the implementation guidelines, an explanation for applicants could include something like the grounds for objection do not include "this is a great idea and I should have got it first and I'm objecting because applicant A has" or "I believe I should run that string not the applicant and it should be given to me". There would also be no grounds for an evaluator to award the string to the objector -- if an objector prevailed, the string would become part of a "disputed name bucket" to be reapplied for at a later date. If the objector wanted to, they could apply themselves in future rounds.

I think there was general agreement from the small group that the new wording found above better captured the intention of the group. The challenge is to ensure that the grounds for objection (which is what I understand Robin to be talking about) require further work. This work was well underway but needs refining in light of the new text.

Just for clarity also, in the small group discussion, there was certainly general agreement that established institutions would have no prior claim on a word IF the applicant was making a generic application open to anyone to use. This recommendation only relates to applications that target specific users/communities and do so at odds with established institutions within that community. This is consistent, for example, with the GAC recommendation about geographic names which said that it was OK to do it as long as there was agreement from the appropriate national or public authority.

Could you please confirm for today's meeting?

Many thanks.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor