ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Action points - JAS WG call 8 June

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Action points - JAS WG call 8 June
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:58:22 +0200

Thanks Elaine.

I think it's a very good document.   Look forward to feedback from the Group.

Some comments from me:

Proposal 2. (Graduated Fees).     Seems very reasonable to me that this should
be adopted for the relatively small subset of applicants who will meet our
criteria

Proposal 3. (Auction Proceeds).   The explanatory memoranda to the DAG already
indicate that Auction Proceeds are a potential source of funding for our
applicants -- so I expect a positive response on this proposal.

Proposal 4.  (Annual Fees).   The $25K per year (more if the registry has >50K
names) is to cover the cost of ICANN operationally managing the TLD,  as well
as administratively managing the relationship with the registry operator.   The
fee was $75K per year (minimum) in earlier versions of the DAG - but was
subsequently reduced to $25K minimum.   To put the number in perspective it
probably represents about 1/7th of the annual cost of a fully loaded (with
overheads) registry manager at ICANN.

Proposals 5 (Risk/ Contingency) & 6 (Fixed/ Variable).    I expect a response
to this that any surplus funds might (or even will) be refundable,  but only
after the TLD process is complete and all costs have been tallied.  That said,
I have no problem with us making these recommendations.

Richard