ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:52:24 -0700

My thoughts on that.

I think it's more accurate, and smarter, for us to argue that a reduction in
the three years should happen for all applicants, not just needy applicants.

If we concede that 3 years is suitable protection for most registries,  its
hard for us to then argue that needy registries should have an exception to
this.    Some will see
needy registries as being more at risk of financial failure than the average
registry,  and hence more likely to need the 3 year buffer.

If we think 3 years is an overlong period of protection  (and I do)  I believe
we will have more success arguing for a reduction for all applicants.

I don't think there's any great science behind the 3 year number.   What we're
really talking about is the amount of time it could take a domain holder to
completely rebrand themselves in a different
TLD.     My gut tells me a 2 year number is politically acceptable,  but we
could argue for less.

RT