ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Updates on SOI/DOIs

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Updates on SOI/DOIs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:05:36 -0400

Hi,

> If there are only 4 or 5 people in a group that would work fine, but can you
> imagine how that would work with a group with 20+ members?

Yes, I can imagine that.

In the GNSO council we always took an active role-call.  I.e. instead of the
secretariat just reading each name out with no response, people had to respond
- they variably answered something like: yes, present or here.  Then we asked
if anyone need to update their SOI, and for the most part no one did, though
occasionally some did.    This takes a few minutes for 20 some odd people.

Try reading 20 names and say 'no update' after each - it can be done fairly
quickly.  As for someone needing to update, in my experience that can be done
within a minute or so per update and thee is rarely more than one or two in a
meeting.

The thing that can take some time is if some one decides to challenge someone's
statement.  that can take longer.  In my years on the council I only saw that a
few times.

In any case, I am doing this because I think we need to live with the new rules
that have been instituted to try and gain greater transparency in ICANN
processes.  I will try to make it as painless as possible.

>>> http://blog.blacknight.com/
>>> http://blacknight.mobi/
>>> http://mneylon.tel