ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:22:00 -0700

As I read the revised 'Who Should Receive Support?' section this is my
understanding of who we are recommending for support:

        a.   Community applicants  (I interpret this as applicants who
designate themselves as 'community' at Q19 of their TLD application - is that
right?)

        b.   NGOs, civil society and non-profit organizations

        c.   Applicants in emerging markets/ developing economies and those
whose TLD strings are in languages with limited web presence  {the 'and' in
that sentence is a little ambiguous to me.  I'm interpreting it to mean that
being in an emerging               market/ developing economy is sufficient to
meet this criteria and it is not necessary to also have proposed a string in an
underserved language.  if that's the case the 'and' should probably be an 'or
applicants'}      This section also recommends
entrepreneurs  from countries with small/ limited economies (I assume when we
say 'entrepreneur' we mean for-profit - is that correct?)

        d.   Economic need

        e.   Spells out applicants who shouldn't get support

I dont think it's clear to the average reader whether a. through d. are  'and'
or  'or'  criteria.   It seems clear that d. is a must have for all applicants,
but it's less clear whether or not a., b. and c. are stand-alone criteria.  I
assume they are, but that would mean a needy entrepreneur from a small/limited
economy would be eligible for support, or a needy non-profit from anywhere
would be eligible for support.  Is that what we intend?

I think it would be useful to clarify the and versus or nature of the criteria
in bold above.

RT