ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:44:32 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Not going to go through line by line, but I think there are some good ideas
being mentioned by Tijani, Eric and Richard.  A couple of suggestions:

To Tijani's point re: applicants I want to be clear again, we're not suggesting
that support be limited strictly to language/ethnic communities, only that we
should consider starting with them given need and perceived value for the
broader internet community.  How they organize -- as a for profit or non-profit
or something else is up to them.

In terms of offering some preference (vs. total preference I suppose) which I
think was Eric's question, that was my effort to say that this would be a
factor
-- as opposed to the only factor -- to be considered.  I accept all
responsibility for the lack of clarity.  English is my first language which
only
means I've disrespecting it longest.

In terms of WT2-c (re bundling), I don't agree with Richard and Tijani, as I
believe that some sort of bundled pricing may turn out to be a simple way to
help get more scripts representing more underserved communities in the root.  I
agree with what Evan said on the last call, this approach may not end up being
used so much in the near term as we still have to consider how a bundled
approach might work, but I see no reason to kick it out as an option.  After
all, we're talking about providing a number of different kinds of support and
this could be a low cost addition to our toolbox.  I am happy to work on
drafting additional language on this, but also agree with that this does not
need to be fully built out fully before we go forward with other
recommendations.  Just would like to see it included as a possibility.

On Richard's points re: clarity in criteria, obviously we will need more
detail.  That said, I am assuming we will need to develop some sort of grading
system assuming we have more potential applicants than resources.  In that case
I am assuming that items like need, origin, language, and other issues perhaps
should all be factored in and given some weighting, but that the final decision
will include multiple factors.  Designing the details of that system is well
beyond the time that we have.

Last, I spoke (emailed) briefly with Elaine and I think we both agreed that
there is some real overlap of the "setup" part of the document that we agreed
write.  What would the group think of having one statement of problem as the
"problem" statements really seem overlapping?

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting