ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report

  • To: "'Richard Tindal'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:07:57 +0100

Thank you Richard for your comments.

I will answer each of your interrogations, but before that, I would like to
make it clear that I didn’t write the original text, and that’s why the
“and” and “or” are not clear. I appreciate that you draw my attention to the
ambiguity it may introduce.

a.       Yes, the applicants should have designated their application as a
“Community” one (Q19)

b.       No question

c.       Yes, you are right. I have changed the wording in my draft but
forgot to do it in my final e-mail. Here is the paragraph after correction:

“Overall, the Working Team recommended giving preference to applicants
geographically located in Emerging Markets/Developing countries. Preference
must also be given to applications in languages whose presence on the web is
limited. Even entrepreneurs in those too tight markets for a reasonable
profit making industry should be eligible.”

d.       No question

e.       No question

How those criteria should be combined?

The main and common criteria is the need. So the applicant meeting the
following combination of criteria will be eligible:

            d and a

            d and b

            d and c

For more clarity, I would prefer to modify the paragraph in the following
manner:

The main criteria for eligibility should be the need; an applicant from one
of the following categories wouldn’t be selected for support if he/she is
not in need of such support.

a.      Community based applications such as cultural, linguistic and
ethnic. These potential applicants have the benefits of being relatively
well defined as groups. Facilitating community on the web is one of ICANN’s
core values.

b.      NGOs, civil society and not for-profit organizations.

c.      Applicants geographically located in Emerging Markets/Developing
countries.

d.      Applications in languages whose presence on the web is limited.

e.      Entrepreneurs in those too tight markets for a reasonable profit
making industry.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231

  _____