ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the v6 requirement

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the v6 requirement
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:10:37 -0500

Hi,

It was "made into an "issue"" because the point was trying to help those in
areas that are less likely to have IPv6 and who meet the need-qualifaictions to
get tunneling support to meet this requirement if it was a reasonable
requirement.  And if it is not a reasonable requirement, then perhaps we should
try for an exemption from the requirement, or for an equivalent substitution,
for the needs-qualified applicant.

But as you have made me face the fact that this is an unreasonable
qualification for all applicants and thus a abarier to all by a select few,
then perhaps a two track solution is required:

- 1 not this group to have this barrier to all but a few applicants removed
from the AG.
- 2 assuming that as in most requests for repair of the AG it will be ignored,
help people who are needs-qualified cope with this unreasonable requirement.

This group, in its formation accepted that many of the rules are unreasonable
and that it was a duty, as originally declared by the GAC, for ICANN to help
those from developing economies overcome those unreasonable requirements.  This
WG and Karla, seem to be the only ones engaged in trying to meet that duty, and
hence all of those problems that would block someone from the developing
economies from participating  are made into issues.  Yes, it would be better to
have a reasonable and fair deployment scenario for all applicants, but that is
perhaps more than we can hope for and beyond our charter, so this group must do
what it can because there is nobody else.

a.

Note: People have been telling me IPv4 will disappear real soon now for 20
years now.  I will believe it when I see it.