ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [spam] Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [spam] Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2
  • From: Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 20:23:56 -0400

Good day everyone,

Just tracking back a bit here to specific questions that Karla is to send to
staff for clarification. I agree with the points raised by both Evan and
Tijani. I wish to add that:

1. In addition to a breakdown of the fees detailed in Evans' email and
yearly Operation Cost amount; that we  get a similar breakdown Auction fees
estimate; and

2. That the rationale for payment of the $185K upfront be revisited. Perhaps
it is felt that there are fewer administrative hurdles in the collection of
these funds upfront, but the result of this is an extremely narrow and
restrictive process putting some applicants under severe financial
constraints.
Instead we are strongly suggesting that the costs of each phase be unbundled
and broken down.
The main benefit of this is allowing financially weaker applicants a chance
to apply and giving them the benefit of raising the rest of the money during
the course of the process.
Also, it affords us the opportunity of seeing exactly what aspects of the
process require a greater financial injection than others. I am not exactly
suggesting that we attempt to find better costing mechanisms (though this
may be an outcome if the amounts seem inflated), but I am suggesting that
this will definitely give us an idea of where the costs lie and will open
the option of implementing a staggered payment scheme for Needy Applicants.
If the costs are unbundled in this way and the situation arises (either by a
needy applicant or regular applicant) that payments cannot be made (by
bankruptcy or otherwise) then we may question why an Auction process was not
considered suitable in this scenario. Banks and mortgage companies employ
Auctions where there is a default and it actually works to their advantage
as they are able to recoup the amount to be paid as well as administrative
costs.
In summary, this gives applicants the benefit of coming up with this sum as
the process proceeds and if only applied to Needy applicants eases the
burden on the financial relief fund.

I look forward to your thoughts on the above. Please also note we have not
received many comments on the redline document and hope that evaluation and
input can be given before tomorrow's call.

Thank you

Cintra