ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discounted Pricing for Underserved Communities

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discounted Pricing for Underserved Communities
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 04:58:55 -0400

On 27 June 2011 04:36, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight
<michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > The only legitimate model of applying of donated services to a charity
> fund of which I'm aware sees the services auctioned off, and the auction
> price is contributed to the fund.
>

> I don't think that's  entirely true

OK. What other models are in use when trying to convert donated services
into cash?

> If a service is normally charged at X per hour / month or whatever then
> there is a specific value for Y hours.

That price of course, is set by the supplier. The value, if needs-assessed
applicants can't afford the service, is zero. Either there's no sale, or the
price comes down to what the buyer is prepared to pay.

> Auctioning things off for charity rarely seems to reflect actual market
> value (they either go much lower or much higher)

When things go much lower it's because they were usually overpriced in the
first place, since the auction more accurately reflects the willing-to-pay
price of those for whom the service is an option, not an obligation. When
they're higher someone just wants to add on a contribution to the charity
and there's no real relation to value.

- Evan