ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] update from GNSO council call

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] update from GNSO council call
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:03:01 -0400

On 21 July 2011 18:26, Neuman, Jeff <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We all have a very tight timeframe as I know you all appreciate and the
> GNSO Council will have to vote on the report shortly after we receive the
> final report.  It would be better to discuss concerns (if there are any) at
> the time of this webinar than having to discuss those concerns at the time
> of a vote where only Councilors are present.****

You don't have to wait until the call for that. Most of the work-in-progress
is done in the open using tools such as wikis, and it helps to know about
concerns sooner rather than later. There are members of the GNSO Council on
the JAS group, just as there are ALAC members, so such levels of easy access
already exist. Discussing concerns after the report is complete is not a
good approach to the timeline.

In any case... while the internal workings of the GNSO Council are of little
concern or interest to me, I think it highly unlikely that Councillors
raising concerns on the community call will prevent it being discussed again
in Council -- especially if the rest of the community does not share such
concerns.

- Evan