ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Review of draft report

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Review of draft report
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:12:47 -0400

Hi Alan.

You're welcomed to the PDF -- as attached below -- but the PDF conversion
destroys the comments.

I'll try to add there here, with the intent that Robert and others who are
having a hard time with the comments can match these segments with the
appropriate places on the Report.

RH: Robert
AG - Alan
AD - Avri
EL - me

Hope this helps.

*A.4.a*

AG: The expression “…to support this call” is curious. However, my main
comment is that the first substantive line in the report should NOT be that
the WG has changed its mind.

How about just saying “In line with the recommendation of the GAC and the
ALAC, the WG recommends that the application fee for Support-Approved
Candidates be reduced to $47,000.”

AD:  indeed it is a refinement, not a change of mind.

EL: I am suggesting wording that indicates that the fee-reduction
recommendation follows through on what the MR2 said, bolstered and made
specific by the GAC/ALAC statement (which will need a shorthand and citation
since it may be referred to multiple times)

*A.4.b *

AG: I am not sure what we are saying here. Are we suggesting even more
discounts if the proposed gTLD is in a small or underserved language? Or is
this a veiled suggestion that bundling multiple languages should be further
discounted? Regardless, are we saying that whatever the benefit, it should
go to “small languages” and “underserved languages”? I don’t really know
what a “small language” is.

EL: I share Alan's confusion. I have suggested wording which may be more in
line with discussions which have taken place over the
multiple-IDN-application issue.

*A.4.c*

AG: Are we making a specific request, or just less?

EL: This line confused me too. ICANN does not have any say over fees charged
by registry providers. For this to have meaning it would be to recommend
ICANN requiremenrts of service providers (for SACs) which can be then
translated into reduced costs to applicants.

*A.4.d*

AG: I think it is foolish for us to ask for a deferment if tunnelling will
indeed satisfy the need (I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to know if
tunnelling will suffice, but others seem to think so). Even if it is ugly,
we should simply make a strong statement that well-priced (or free) services
must be available.

AD: I agree with you but I expect there are still good reasons for
supporting the removal of the requirement.  This may go down as mixed
support.  IT is one where we probably will not prevail, but it is worth
saying it so that the middle position, pre-announced statement that tunnels
are ok ..., does not become one of the negotiating positions.

EL: I think that there is full support for some kind of help related to
iPV6. Whether that means deferment or other means is the source of
disagreement. I don't think we want to advocate against the common ICANN
religion that IPV6 must be enabled in some way by all new applicants. We can
suggests charges to the pace of rollout or ways to reduce the cost. I think
talking about a different pace of rollout looks better than asking for
“deferment”

*A.5*

AG: I thought that our prime focus was to get the requirement lowered to the
cost of a really basic continuance service (ie, keep the TLG running). If we
support that strongly, is the duration that important so as to warrant this
position in the list?

AD: I think this was one means of achieving that goal.

*A.7 (staggered fees)*

RH: WG members have discussed keeping this paragraph.  Keeping it for now
[ed]

AG My persona feeling is that it should be coached with language saying that
if the advice of the AGAC, ALAN and this WG is not followed and the fees are
not reduced, then staggered fees are mandatory.

I understand that some people do not want to show weakness by allowing for
this option, but I feel we are not doing our job if we do not accept that
the Board may choose not to follow the advice.

AD: Agree.
   ps. i like AGAC, ALAN)

EL: I disagree with offering recommendations as a menu (well, this is what
we want, but but you want to choose to ignore our advice we'll give you any
out). I disagree with having this being there... but if it is I suggest
wording that makes it clear that staggered fees are not our primary
recommendation. Indeed, I will suggest a "plan B" for the report even though
I am against a Plan B in the report.

*A.12 (2nd para in "framework")*

AG: Hasn’t the program already been approved? If so, this clause should
simply read “immediately”

AD: agree

EL: agree.
(a) and (b) are redundant if worded properly

*A.12.a*

AG: No closing bracket.

AD: I think we still have a decision to make here or retaining the language
here, moving it to a note or removing it.  I suggest leaving it here and
removing the brackets.  Yes, the task of doing this remains with the staff,
but the oversight of making sure it is done and done properly should belong
to the TBD Board established Fund committee

EL: Agree with AD.

*A.12.f*

AG: Not sure if we should use the term seed here. The tone of the preceding
discussion is that the main sources would be auctions and such, with perhaps
donations from others.

AD: and we already have the seed, the Board's contribution!

EL [ make change to the text to reflect ]

*A.14*

AG: I would weaken this one. Perhaps something like: In support of 11f,
consideration should be given to contract with a professional …

EL: The Bylaws allow the Board to acquire any expertise they need to perform
their duties. So we're stating the obvious.

*A.17 (seconnd para under "donors")*

EL: I really dislike the wording of this paragraph
- “A lot money”
- “There is a lot of funding available”
- worst of all, passive verbs.
This particular paragraph seems to lack the polish of the rest of the
document, and hints at envy. We should simply note that ICANN has created
wealth and that meeting sponsorship at least indicates that some are willing
to give back.

*A.23 (under self-funding requirements)*

AG: We varyingly use $47k and $45k. We need to pick one and go with it. I
suggest $47 as that was the number in the GAC/ALAC recommendation.

AD: agree.

EL: Me too. Don't know where $45K came from...

*----- (2nd comments)*

AG: The references to short term usage are confusing and if used, needs to
be better defined.

AD: short term usage can be replaced by  'to meet cash flow requirements for
the actual administration of the application process.

EL: Since this is an explanation behind the recommendation and not part of
the recommendation itself, I suggest that sections 21-27 be moved to an
appendix
*
---- (3rd comments, inserted after A.27)*

AG: I find the entire discussion of how to fund the fee reduction confusing.
I can propose a simpler way of presenting it which I think will amount to
about the same thing.

1. Presume that no more than 18% of the applications will be eligible for
support.
2. For every 100 applications, those paying the full fee (82) will
contribute $2.050m towards sunk cost repayment.
3. The maximum fee reduction is 18 x $138. = $2.484m of which only 2.034m
will go to offset actual costs (18 x (138-25)).
4. Since ICANN is receiving all of the fees at the start, there is no cash
flow issue until the very end of the process.
5. Assuming there are auction proceeds as expected, they will be used to
repay the (up to) $2.034m.
6. If there are insufficient auction proceeds, ICANN will defer the
repayment of sunk costs.

The only challenge is to limit the funded applicants to 18%. But if this is
really a problem, then ICANN has more problems with the new gTLD program
than this one.

AD: I disagree, because this makes it sound like the other applicants are
supporting the JQA.  The point is that what is supporting this is future
auction funds etc, with the cash flow dealt with by using the Risk and
reserve allocations .  This is a fundamental difference.

EL: Agree with Avri. But I still think the whole discussion / justification
of the recommendation should like outside the recommendation document
itself, in an appendix.

*B.30 (under non-financial support)*

AG: Given the timing that we are discussing (with support being granted
probably shortly before applications are due, is this reall practical in the
first round?

AD: I think so.  there are several months until Jan 12, and there is the
time before the end of the application period in which to help people.

EL: Agree with Avri. Also consider that, if the fee reduction is
implemented, it is these kinds of costs that will be the main uses of the
foundation / funds.

*B.30.h (translation)*

AG: This is incorrect. The current draft is published in Chinese, French,
Spanish and Russian as well as English. I don’t know if there are plans for
additional languages. I do believe that the application will need to be in
English though.

AD: I.e we already achieved this.  We should indicate that this requirement
from our MR! is being met, we appreciate it, and commend that it remain the
practice.

EL: I think my suggested wording helps bridge the gap. The appliocation may
be need to be in English but the AG itself may need to be translated into
any script(s) in which the applicant wants to operate.

*B32.f (relaxed VI)*

AG: The current requirements are pretty relaxed as it is .What addditonal
relaxations are being suggested here?

AD:(-:  I.e another already achieved goal.

EL: [ Deleted point from redline doc ]

*[ THE DETAILED NUMBERING APPEARS TO STOP WITHIN A VERY LONG SECTION 32,
PLEASE FIX]*

*Page 15, under "Directory and referral services only for Support-Approved
Candidates, point B*"

AG: Needs to be either stated clearly or omitted.

EL: [suggested modified text]

*B.34*

AG: I thought that we received a comment from the AOS or at least one RIR
that this was simply not going to happen.

AD: I believe we should still approach the ASO.  There is bully pulpit they
can provide to encourage LIR and ISP to provide this help.  Also when I
brought this issue up at the ASO report at the  Singapore meeting, i was
told the the JAS WG and ASO should talk.  Or at least that is what I
remember, would need to go back and read the transcript again to be sure.
We should reword, but not eliminate.  and we should talk to them.

*B.42*

AG: Although I support the intent of this section, the timeing is
problematic. The new gTLD application as filed must give sufficient
indication of the RSP to allow ICANN to evaluate their credentials. How can
this be done in a scenario where there is just an intent to create the RSP?

AD: I suggest it is important that it remain in, but it should be something
we encourage proposal to the SARP on.  So rewording and perhaps moving.

EL: Agree. I'll think of ways to rework this.

*B.45*

AG: Entire section needs wordsmithing. "Candidate" is defined as the
applicant but criteria varyingly refers to the applicant or the TLD
character string or the proposed registry (the last two implying the
contents of the application).

Perhaps can be fixed by replacing “candidate” by “candidate, or as
applicable, the proposed registry or character string”.

AD: we need to get the JAS approved terms into a glossary and use them.

*B.47.d*

AG: Id “sponsorship” the proper word here? I thought we were not using the
concept for the new gTLD process (as opposed to the previous rounds).

AD: good point about t word sponsored's baggage but i can't think of a
better word at this moment.  We do whant them to have this kind of
sponsorship even if it does not mean the same thing as sTLD,.

*B.48*

AG: Missing intro sentence “The candidate must NOT be:”

*B.49*

AG: This line (gov’t or para-statal) is not a heading but one of the items.
a) to f)

*B.49.f*

This is not one of the items under para49 but is a proviso for the entire
eligibility section. Probably needs to go at the top instead of the bottom.

*B.54*

AG: Need clarity here whether “conventional application” is referring to one
that is asking for and receiving support under this present report, or an
application that is paying the full fee.

*B.55*

AG:Since we are saying a “preference” should be given, perhaps add a note
saying that originating from one of these developing areas is neither
sufficient nor mandatory to qualify. That should add some flexibility and
remove the worry that a unreasonable applicant from Singapore will not
qualify.

AD: should we be saying that this, and the Diaspora requirement arte
necessary but not sufficient?

*B.56*

AG: Unimaginable is too strong. They clearly are being imagined.
Impractical??

AD: agree

EL: agree

*B.57*

AG: This cannot be the “PRIMARY” criteria, since we have already given two
required criteria and financial was 2nd.I would suggest word “a crucial” to
replace “the primary”.

AD: it is  a necessary condition

*B.57.d*

AG: $45k per what? Startup cost, annual?

*B.58*

AG: Is this the final WG position? I am actually happy with it, but since no
specific criteria are listed, it will be a purely subjective evaluation.

An alternative is to say we wpuld prefer some level of specificity, but baed
on the skills and knowledge available on the WG, have been unable to provide
such details.

AD: I think the guide for applicants need to say what these will be.  And I
think the the WG along with Staff should negotiate this.  But after the
Final report is submitted as part of the WG participation in the
implementation phase of the program.

*B.59*

AG: This is now out of date. The joint GAC/ALAC statement made it clear that
they were advocating support of any level of government other than national
government.

AD; agree

*B.63*

AG: We need clarity here whether the support that is to be repaid includes
the fee discount or just the financial support provided over and above the
fee reduction. Also, if this applies only to “financial” support, it should
be explicit.

AD: Agree.  I think that the fee reduction is NOT in the category of need to
be repaid as that will be 'repaid' by auction and other funds.

*A.67 (section lettering reverts to "A" in my doc)*

AG: I think that we typically use recommendation instead of suggestion.

AD: agree

*A.69*

AG: This is quite different from what was discussed at the last meeting, and
I don’t recall anyone putting this time-line process instead of the one
where the review preceeds application.

AD: actually i recommended it and continue to do so.  It is a timing issue.
People will not be ready with application for funding any sooner that Jan
12,.

*A.70*

AG: The AoC review teams have had markedly different mixes of people from
the various ACs and SOs. At the least we should recommend a suggested mix.

The process will also be hard-put to ensure that we have the right mix of
talents.

Personally, I am not at all sure that this process is optimal. As stated on
calls, I am quite concerned about meeting commitments. Just look at the
difficulty we have had in getting work out of this WG.

Lastly, we need to decide what the basis will be for making decisions in the
case of lack of unanimity.

AD: I think a hybrid of professional and ICANN experienced is the right
mix.  I do not want the ICANN staff to be the ones chosing the professional
members fo the group.  That has to be done by volunteers+staff.

*A.72*

AG: Paid or unpaid?

*GENERAL COMMENT BEFORE THE FAQ:*

AG: Having completed the review of the core report, I see there is no
mention of changing the continuity requirements to be far more modest. Eric
had reported that there was ongoing discussion in some other group, but do
we really want to leave it solely up to them?

AD: well there was the one mention earlier.  but this is a good point. I
guess there was not contributed text on it for Seth + Rob to cut into the
report.