ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] Re: At Large Structure application

• To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: At Large Structure application
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:10:14 -0500

Thomas

Lo pongo en español..
jamas creeria que la intransigencia pudiera llegar a tanto, el no aceptar que somos diferentes linguisticamente y culturalmente, el obligar a todos a hablar lo mismo es algo que no entiendo. Si todos hacemos el esfuerzo por avanzar, es porque creemos, pero uno de los principales problemas que tiene el ICANN ha sido el que no ha desarrollado conocimiento e información en la mayoria de la población. O es que acaso todos los peruanos saben ingles?, o todos los latinos?.. es obligatorio saber ingles para participar del ICANN?.. hasta las naciones unidas tienen traductores!!!..

No puedo creer que expreses tu voto a priori porque no conoces un idioma... sabes que haria yo.. buscaria un diccionario... o tomaria la posición de Vittorio, pedir ayuda a otros, pero es tan facil decir no entiendo...

Ahora como mi ingles es pesimo, y solo lo uso para leer y entender algo, y por eso te puedo responder tratara de colocar algo en ingles..

En ingles..

Maybe in peru only a few percent of the population understand and speak english, in latin america, and another countries and regions are similar... our principal problem (in the icann), are : "if you don't know english you can't participate"!!... what happend with the millions of persons who doesn't know this language?

I hope we can help in the translation for anothers, but we need to know our differences and try to work in the similar way.. i hope someday learn german to speak the language of my father.. but until that, i'm very proud of my spanish....

Erick

At 11:24 a.m. 14/10/2003 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
On 2003-10-14 08:50:05 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> (Whether we need a full translation of the application, or
> whether the English review would be enough for us to vote, is
> something we have to decide - personally, I think that an English
> review could be enough if it's not too summarized.)

The bylaws require a 2/3 majority for the approval of an at-large
structure, not "some process."

It is, of course, a good thing to delegate most of the work to
people from the region and to staff, but I feel that at least the
information from the application should be available to all
committee members in order to enable them to make a fully informed
decision.

As I said earlier, I won't vote "yes" for any application that I
don't understand.

--
Thomas Roessler  <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At-Large Advisory Committee: http://alac.info/