Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: friedrich
Date/Time: Sat, July 1, 2000 at 1:26 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Big dictators around?

Justin,

Thanks for trying to throw me and quite a number of other members of the Internet-community into the Ghetto of .web-name-owners, who, as you obviously think, are solely acting for their own advantage. Why don't you just write: "Shut up or I will ..."?

You should be careful not to discredit yourself by doing so.
This kind of behaviour was used by a certain government about 60 years ago in order to disqualify a well known group of intelligent people who had worked hard, where successful and therefore envied by others who were not.

Of course it is easy to take away all rights from other people, especially if they are in a weaker situation. Maybe you even claim those rights for yourself, don't you? Please, think about it.
But where is the limit?

Speaking for myself, I am participating in this forum in order to contribut to the best possible developement of the Internet, without personal interests and if you read my post, you will notice it.

I live in Switzerland and reading sentences like: "A federal California court this week ruled trademark and service mark protections did not apply to generic domain extensions." makes me think.

Is this decision valid for the whole rest of the world, too? Is a federal California court the appropriate court for a decision concerning an international community such as the Internet?

Why didn't they at least ask themselves this question and refuse to deal with that problem at all? Why wasn't it a Swiss court to decide this? (of course I know your answer)

I am not talking about if the decision is right or wrong, but about if it has been decided by the right court.

I doupt it - and again that's why I am trying to contribut to this forum. I very much appreciate any other opinion, as long as it is an opinion and not just an offence.

Thank you!
Friedrich

P.S.: Sorry for my "British accent", but this is what we once learned at school ...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy