Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sat, July 1, 2000 at 6:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Oh puleeze

friedrich writes:

>Thanks for trying to throw me and quite a number of other members of the Internet-community into the Ghetto of .web-name-owners, who, as you obviously think, are solely acting for their own advantage...This kind of behaviour was used by a certain government about 60 years ago in order to disqualify a well known group of intelligent people who had worked hard, where successful and therefore envied by others who were not.<

This kind of hyperbole is well over the top. First spam, now nazi allusions, how tediously predictable. I've said previously that I support IOD's .web and existing registrants. jrosenthal, in the post you compare to dictatorship, says:

>While it is obvious that I am at odds with IOD over their practices, they still deserve as fair a shot as anybody else when it comes to the new registries. However I feel that their tactics are quite questionable. The trademark situation shows that.<

Unfortunately some .web registrants don't seem to know who their friends are. Even cambler has suggested that this is the wrong direction to go. I agree entirely with jrosenthal's statement above. I also think you owe jrosenthal an apology.

IOD was claiming a trademark in an attempt to appear legitimate. Now they can't. Get over it. .web registrants knew that they were registering names that may never make it into the root, or should have. If IOD misled them (SFAIK they didn't), then sue IOD. These twistings of the truth and ad hominem attacks aren't going to sway ICANN in your direction, perhaps the opposite. I know I've lost all patience and any sympathy for .web owners. If you don't have a clue about trademark law, or legal jurisdiction, or who picks gTLDs, or how, or why, then you're wandering blind out onto the infobahn and shouldn't be surprised if you get run over.

>Is this decision valid for the whole rest of the world, too? Is a federal California court the appropriate court for a decision concerning an international community such as the Internet? Why didn't they at least ask themselves this question and refuse to deal with that problem at all? Why wasn't it a Swiss court to decide this? (of course I know your answer)<

The answer is that IOD is free to put it before a Swiss court, or one in Pago Pago, or Pottsylvania, if they're willing to accept jurisdiction. If IOD wins they can again claim to have .web trademarked.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy