Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jrosenthal
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 11:12 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: My Position

Thank you for the compliment. As a web developer, I'm flattered that you would get the impression that I am a well-trained lawyer. Maybe I should trade in my programming job for a much better paying job as an attorney. But what fun would that be?

I really don't understand what exactly you don't understand about my position. It seems like this vocal half a dozen or so who happen to be staunch IOD supporters can't grasp what should be so blatantly obvious in my posts.

Let me try to phrase this in the simplest way possible so that it should be clearly understandable to all parties. I do not support any preregistrations due to the simple fact that it defeats the purpose of releasing new gTLDs. The IOD, CORE, and Namespace "registries" each contain thousands of domains that have already been preregistered. It seems pointless to me to release new gTLDs when thousands of domains in those new namespaces will have already been taken PRIOR TO the namespace going live. Of course there will be a big rush to register new domains if the databases were void of preregistrations on Day 1. However, each and every individual will have been given EQUAL opportunity to obtain their desired domain(s). Nobody will be able to claim that the process was unfair, and because many people will be going to register at once, the domains will be more equally distributed amongst the registrants. Like I have mentioned before, if the registration systems are built properly, "techies" will not be able to use scripts to register all of the "good" domains. This registration system is fair, gives everybody an equal opportunity, and will result in a more equal distribution of the new domains.

If you cannot understand that, I don't know how to phrase it in any simpler manner. I am not a communist. I am not a soldier of the New World Order. I am expressing my opinion in an open, *free* forum.

As I look through this discussion forum, it is apparent that anybody who even questions IOD and/or preregistrations gets blasted by IOD stakeholders. I posted a message inviting discussion regarding CORE preregistrations, and Friedrich was the only person who offered a balanced, logical opinion that didn't read like the IOD propaganda that has filled this forum.

Now that I've explained my position to the point that I feel further explanation would be futile, let's do something that I haven't seen done as of yet. Let's see the supporters of ANY preregistrations (whether they be IOD, CORE, or Namespace) give their reasons why keeping preregistrations is good for the general Internet population (the majority of people - the people who aren't participating in this forum). Yes, this means people besides yourselves. People who probably haven't preregistered names. People who have probably never known about preregistrations. How do the preregistrations help these people? I encourage you to refute my position without biased, fallacious argument based upon your own desire to protect your "investment". According to US law (ask your lawyers), IANA is a defunct agency, so any agreements, if any, made by them with other parties, are not binding for ICANN. So without fallaciously claiming that ICANN must fulfill IANA's alleged agreement, explain why preregistrations should be respected.

The "courtroom" is all yours.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy