Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mediaevum
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 3:34 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Wiping the database clean

I have been reading various posts on this topic with, I believe, an open mind. It seems very obvious that jrosenthal has some kind of personal gripe and/or personal issue at stake. Perhaps this person wants a chance to get his/her hands on domains that someone else has registered?
       The issue seems to be whether or not the registration process has been "fair," legal and authorized. The consideration of its fairness is odd. No one has had special consideration. The database has been open to anyone who desires preregistration for several years, regardless of corportate affiliation, country of origin, etc. Yes, there are speculators. Why is that bad? It is part of the free market system. People find a product or service of value and invest. My father had a chance to buy a plot of land in the 1960s for $30,000. He did not. The site was purchased by others and is now worth several hundred million dollars. Someone else "preregistered" this undeveloped land. It seems obvious that those investors should completely relinquish their ownership of this land, and it should be put back up for sale at the original cost. This solution is analogous to the idea of wiping data bases clean so others can get another shot. These domains have been quite accessible. People with programs that seek out "good" names (as one posting referred to such programs) would be able to get names previously registered to ordinary Joe's. Wiping the slate clean would only benefit the technically savvy, not the average person.
     There was mention that IANA was defunct. That does not mean that agreements made while it was viable are null and void. If IOD was set up to take preregistrations, certainly there is a consideration of grandfathering. This both covers the legal and authorized issues.
     Once again, judging by the posts I have read, the desire to get rid of preregistered names seems to be nothing more than a desire to have a chance to take what rightfully belongs to someone else...morally, if not legally, this is thievery.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy