Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 4:18 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Crashing and burning logic

Crash, there is NO way that we can effectively advertise all messages, all opportunities to all people in the world, evenly, across the board, without missing spots.

Furthermore, I would never want a world in which we established legistlation whereby every company had to advertise--globally and in all mediums--that a product or service of theirs was available.

I have said before: it is NOT the job of a company going public, to contact me and advise me of their existence, and that stock options are becoming available. If I am interested in stocks, I have to do my homework, go out there and learn what I can.

Right now, I am sure there is an apartment complex going up in Missouri. Is the owner of that apartment complex required, by law, to notify me? My brother? The newspapers even?

First come, first serve. No matter how you look at it, someone is going to be in the bathroom when whatever advertising that MIGHT exist is aired. Do they have a right to knock everyone down because of it?

How do you legislate a world according to this principle? How do you even get out of the starting gate.

Guess what. I never knew Business.com was available before it was registered for the first time. Do I have a right to it now?

When Kids.com dropped due to a lapse in payment, is not the most deserving person to get it, the one who got there first? It was up for grabs, and kudos to those who had the greater ability or greater luck than I had. If I was aware that it was made available, I would have raced to my computer. But life doesn't work that way.

Was the registry required to notify the world that kids.com was about to re-enter the pool?

NO company is required to advertise in ANY capacity. In a fair and open market, they are ONLY required to sell a product to a person who ultimately finds it.

IOD didn't hide their database from anyone. It WAS public knowledge even if the majority of the world didn't know about it. Hell, if I could find IOD, ANYONE can. I am NOT a tech-savvy person. Or even a domain-savvy person. I just. . . did my homework.

Think about it. How about all the people in the world who don't even have access to a computer? Did you know that only 5 percent of the world is online? We have an advantage over them when it comes to getting a screen-name on some MOM & POP ISP, for crying out loud.

If I get to register the screen name, "BlahBlahBlah" with that little-known ISP---does anyone have the right to knock me down and take it simply because the Mom & Pop ISP didn't send out fliers?

No. They were a matter of Public Record. But you have to go out, look for, and READ the Public Record. The Public Record is not some tangible magazine subscription filled with All Human Knowledge, that can be dropped in your mailbox.

Your statement DEMANDING MASS ADVERTISING implies that a restaurant that is hiring should be required, by law, to advertise throughout the world that a position in their establishment has opened up. Your statement implies the person who gets the job in that restaurant after seeing a sign in the window, "Waiter/Waitress Needed" . . . should have the job taken from them.

It never worked that way. It never should.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy