Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Fri, July 7, 2000 at 1:06 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I am a member of the internet community.....I would like this addressed at YOKOHAMA!! Thanks!

I thought I made my last comments earlier however I did one last look at the (Background section with regards to the gTLD debate)....I must have missed it...but I will not let this slide...Here are a couple of comments from ICANN:

"One concern sometimes raised in this connection is that .com may have become so highly preferred in the market to any other TLD that effective competion among open TLDs is no longer likely. Those raising this concern sometimes point out that .com enjoys a vastly superior market share compared to .net and .org, with .com accounting for 80% of the total registrations in .com, .net, and .org. This predominance of .com registrations continues even though all three TLDs are offered by 45 registrars fiercely trying to sell registrations."

MY COMMENT:   This is precisely the reason why .web needs to be in the domain space...If .com continues to stamp out the competition...Network Solutions (who owns most of them) and certain dot.com names will literally own the internet....WHY dot web....It is the most widely recognized domain in the world...I wonder how the asian community would feel about a .shop or .banc (with a "c")...My guess is dot web would be more familiar to them than the other two..I get the feeling ICANN knows this, my question to them is take a serious look at the comments...made above...and then take a look at the entire community....then assess...(especially in the gTLD selection phase and registry phase)..Worrying that dot web is too close to dot com and would confuse is wrong for the fact that dot com as you say has the name recognition...what would dot web do that dot net hasn't????? (I realize I speak on the defensive--maybe you ICANN do not feel this way...however your words speak VOLUME)..
Comment number 2 (from ICANN---that sounded a bit like the IPC comments left on this board):
"In fact, the number of second-level domain names within a single TLD is quite large (over 1098) and claims that any particular TLD is effectively exhausted are, as a technical matter, misplaced. (Even .com has only approximately 108 names registered). Some, however, have noted that the group of useful or desirable names is much smaller than the total theoretically possible. While this observation is correct, even a slight lengthening of possible second-level domain names increases the availabile possibilities much more dramatically than the addition of new TLDs. For example, under the currently followed format rules increasing second-level domain-name length by one character multiplies the possible domain names by 37, while adding three new TLDs similar to .com, .net, and .org would only double them"

MY COMMENTS TO ICANN: I realize you wanted comments on your comments I pasted above...however read your comments carefully...everything is worded as if your mind is made up....Not good...I believe over the past 5 years since the last proposal to upload new gTLD's (.web) things have drastically changed....Adding characters to a second level domain DOES NOT help a person just getting into a ecommece venture...Unfortunately the internet has gone commercial...we must accept that...so we can add all kinds of characters to increase a supply, but all that will do is make dot com's that much more valuable...What ever happen to choice and competition...from your comments (again you appear to have your mind made up) you seem that if new gTLD's (more than 2) then chaos will occur....IF UDRP is working...and other forms of recourse for TM holders...then what is there to fear...I think a great US president said it best.."There is nothing to fear, but fear itself"....Masking the situation as grave and unecessary almost puts your authority into question (again I am the consensus type person)...For those that do not have the power to act...are in a sense lame ducks (for a lack of a better term)...Your direction should not be to come up with ideas that make a system even more scare dom's (unecessarily)...by adding characters to a second level domain....And yes..I will be honest I do have my reasons for wanting new domains to come out...I have been open about that however I ALWAYS back up my claims in a logical, common sense approach...For instance...I would like to start www.killer.web (a name I registered through (IOD)....I cannot possibly compete with www.killer.a.com (what your comments above proposed by adding a character to a second level domain).....GOOD DAY! and remember think about the massess that would like to compete with an existing dot com....Saying well go out and get www.Killerthecompany.com is fine...however shouldn't we have more choice to the DNS...History has proven when choice and compeition is limited...well...Your "testbed" for this scenario is happening right now...It's called Network Solutions...(DISCLAIMER:  These opinions are not meant to be decisive or totally bent towards my needs....it's just a wake up call for anyone that adheres to a logical approach to things)....Thanks!   Greg Krajewski

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy