Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jandl
Date/Time: Fri, June 2, 2000 at 1:07 AM GMT (Thu, June 1, 2000 at 9:07 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Re: Barriers...

>Hmm, that there is a problem with the 10% is obvious to everyone it seems. But before modificating it, one should ask what is more important - to get at least one representative of every region as nominee, or too push only those, who get much support.
Because with the idea, to allow everyone as nominee who gets 100 voices in the membership in support to him, it is clear that the US will have the most nominees, simply because they have the most members, as far as I know.<

If I understood you correctly, your fear was that we would not have representation from every region.  That would not be possible, since one person from every region will be elected regardless of the number of nominees from that region.  Therefore, even if the US had 500 nominees, supported properly, and Canada had 100 nominees, also supported, one person from the North American region would be elected.

"The restriction that one can only support members of ones own region doesn't make sense, I think. We don't want a new hierarchy, but a democracy, don't we?"

On that, I agree.  If candidates are to be elected based on certain required criteria, then it should not matter by whom he or she is supported.  The election will still allow for only one candidate per region to be elected. 

In addition, members should be allowed to support more than one nominee as is allowed in the US.  You can support whomever you wish, change your mind midstream if you find you cannot continue to support someone, and change again prior to election.  It does not mean you don't want to encourage several people to run.  I may want to show support for two people just to insure they would reveal more about themselves and provide the membership with that much more information to make an educated choice.  In the end, you have only one vote in the final election.

Link: TLD Lobby

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy