Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Patricia
Date/Time: Thu, June 8, 2000 at 4:44 PM GMT
Score: 5
Subject: Re: definition of North America

"Yes, Mexico is geographically in North America.. traditionally, so is the Carribean and Central America.  (The traditional seperation, as I've been taught, is the Panama Canal)"

Yes, that was my understanding of the geography, also.

"However, as I understand the bylaws, as they exist, Mexico is considered part of the Latin America/Carribean region, rather than North America.  That leaves the US and Canada as North America."

That is silly ... really ... considering the ethnic diversity in the US! 

"Then again, considering the 800 pound gorilla that the US represents, it's probably unfair to Canada to tie them to us, but there's little geographical basis to place Canada anywhere else.  Mexico is arguable, and while it could go either way, Mexico is probably better off in the Latin American region, for linguistic as well as internet population reasons."

Ah, but, that 800-pound gorilla has a lot of Latin-American blood flowing through its veins ... don't you think that letting Mexico have its rightful place in North America might just tend to make the gorilla more ... sociable?  And give Latino candidates up north more support? g

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy