Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ
||Wed, October 25, 2000 at 11:15 PM GMT
||Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT 5.0
||Compaq support for .DIR
The .DIR TLD request from Novell is key for
the industry. The Internet is driving new business models. The network is no longer
a tool for business, it is the medium in which business is done. Successful e-commerce
companies will create digital communities by flattening their business model and
extending their core business process to their partners, customers and employees.
By leveraging directories, companies can improve control of Internet access to critical
data, ease Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) deployment, enhance network management,
and manage relationships.
The .DIR TLD proposal is where the Internet and
directories can intersect. It provides a ubiquitous rendezvous point for both business-to-business
and consumer-to-business services. Because .DIR is a restricted domain (like .EDU
or .GOV), minimum standards ensure interoperability between directories (.DIR sites)
and prevents cyber squatting. In addition, the .DIR extension provides a clean namespace
for directory access from the Internet, avoiding name collisions with other approaches.
Past directory solutions, such as X.500, required that the entire directory be owned,
managed, and maintained by a single entity. Through .DIR, organizations could
gain all of the benefits of a ubiquitous Internet directory while maintaining ownership
and access control rights over their directory entries.
that there may be multiple ways to provide similar functionality (like dir.compaq.com).
However, an open industry standard access and a simplified namespace will accelerate
e-business applications to the forefront of our economy.
CTO Enterprise Servers
- .dir Application by Novell, Inc. Moderator, October 7 @ 10:27 PM (11/15)
- Support .DIR dakearns, November 1 @ 8:38 PM (0/0)
- Directory vendor as .dir authority? timoldham, November 1 @ 11:45 AM (2/2)
- Digital Identity Tantric, October 26 @ 12:10 AM (0/0)
- Single TLD extension proposals peniel, October 25 @ 11:16 PM (1/1)
- Compaq support for .DIR garyfcampbell, October 25 @ 11:15 PM (0/0)
- Support for .DIR cstone, October 24 @ 5:40 PM (0/0)
- Privacy and security and other questions karl.auerbach, October 23 @ 9:32 PM (1/1)
- To much gloss, not enough detail that I can believe karl.auerbach, October 23 @ 7:10 PM (0/0)
- Comments sjk, October 19 @ 7:37 AM (0/0)
- Proposition to ICANN, Applicants & Internet Community Pistoff, October 18 @ 5:54 PM (0/0)
- Core Business hoffy, October 14 @ 6:45 PM (0/0)