Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: lewco
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 5:39 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Your conclusions are completely unsubstantiated

I too am a CPA and am extremely concerned that you make unsubstantiated statements about the realistic nature of IOD's financial numbers.  I too read IOD's financial projections and ICANN's staff report. While I see that there certainly could be  changes to their projections, I see the same with all the applicants equally, however, I see no mention of these problems by ICANN except in IOD's case. This hardly seems fair to me.

As far as you being concerned about the experience that IOD has in the registry business, I find it equally amusing that you would think that only a company that currently performs this service could do it correctly.  If this world thought as you do, there would be one company for each industry (the original one). The fact is, new companies that come along in any industry usually have a better way of doing things and often make the whole industry stronger.  That's referred to as innovation and competition.

You state that you have concerns about the ability of IOD to handle the rapid growth.  You go on to say that the collapse of many of the dot coms is evidence of this. This statement is absurd.  There are many reasons for the collapse of many dot com companies, including poor management, poor business plans, free flowing capital, and poor financial advice. Rapid growth is hardly the main reason for the collapse of those that did.

I won't sit here and say that there won't be growing pains, but please be fair about stating that whoever gets these new TLD's, the pains will be very similar.

The last point that you make about the risk management is perhaps the one I find most disturbing. You show me a risk manager that wouldn't invest every available penny they have in IOD (or any other registrar)if they were granted the .web TLD, and I will show you a liar. Whoever is granted the new TLD's will be profitable, very profitable.  Why else would so many applicants put up $50,000 to $100,000 of non-refundable capital?

I'm not sure whether you are just a puppet for Afilias or you are really just uninformed on the issues. Either way I felt compelled to respond to your nonsense.

Jim Lewis
CPA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy