ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:28:33 -0500

Hi,

While I think having a v-chair serve in the role is less deleterious then
having a chair serve, I still do not think of it as an optimum solution.

I personally think that after the membership of the OSC has been reconfirmed by
al the constituency/stakeholder groups that group of people should try to
figure this out.  And if the Council v-chair is the only volunteer then so be
it - though I am afraid that no one will volunteer once the v-chair has
volunteered for fear of alienating that v-chair.  And while I have no problem
with any of the individuals involved, I think it is a bad practice as it
prevents other leaders from emerging.

I never knew that Chuck was only an interim chair - was there a continuing
attempt to find a non-interim chair?   To recruit one would have been an
interim chair's responsibility  - otherwise people would have felt they were
going up against the chair.  If that interim responsibility is to fall on the
v-chair now, that seems ok, a long as it really is an interim responsibility
and Stéphane will undertake that responsibility with a view to finding a
non-interim chair.

a.