Date/Time: Wed, October 18, 2000 at 3:17 PM GMT
Browser: Opera V4.02 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Read my previous post carefully

Fabrizio Coppola from Italy writes in the ICANN Forum:

>        Does IOD have a monopoly??!
>I did not know this...
>

I will explain again why IOD has a potential monopoly.

Firstly, it is because of IOD refusal to share the .WEB TLD in the inniatial period with other ICANN Accredited Registrars and secondly it is because IOD prefers to monopolize the .WEB TLD during the inniatial phases so that IOD itself can gain gain market share over its competitors (other ICANN Registrars, i.e. Register.com and Tucows.com of course).

IOD is trying to mimick the old Network Solutions' monopoly which monopolized .Com, .Net, and .Org during the inniatial stages of those 3 TLDs, and thus the evil plans of IOD must be stopped.

You should remember one thing - IOD is not an ICANN Accredited Registrar, so it cannot take registrations directly from the registrant like it is doing now, but only from registrars since IOD is a registry like NSI/VeriSign.

You should know it now... If not, re-read this and my previous post once again.

>If this refers to registry sharing:
>in IOD application it is apparent that IOD will share
>its .web registry.

No, no, you are VERY wrong there!

In IOD application it *CLEARLY* states that for the first few years, registrations within WEB TLD will be taken by the registry operator. Do you know why this is so? Because IOD Registrar wants to have a greater market share over all its competitors, I mean the other ICANN Accredited Registrars like Register.com, Tucows.com, etc.

Note that IOD MAY HAVE TO be divided into 2 like NSI, IOD Registrar and IOD Registry before it can start accepting registrations. Also, all previous PRE-REGISTRATIONS (even though some claim they are actual registrations) must be wiped out!

What IOD is doing is of course unethical! They should allow ICANN Accredited Registrars to compete with them for customers in the first round - they have more than enough time (one month) to develop their registry RRP and SRS servers.

If not, I would like to point Christopher Ambler to http://openxrs.tucows.com - a commercial registry solution that supports RRP, SRS, WhoIs, and more! Even .KIDs is using OpenXRS Suite!
Of course, OpenXRS to the best of my knowledge is available for Unix but then Unix is known to be more stable than MicroShit Windoze 2000.

Therefore, to all the ICANN board of directors, reject IOD's application A.S.A.P.! The longer you delay it, it is your credibility that will be affected.

--Eugene Kang

EMail: wiredz@maxis.net.my

Link: Image Online Design Sucks

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy