Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Alex Williamson
Date/Time: Thu, October 26, 2000 at 11:25 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Neustar's application should be accepted - IOD have no legal rights

Dear ICANN committee members,

Firstly I would like to say that there is without doubt leeway created by the fact that there are multiple parties applying to register the same Top Level Domain(s). This in turn leads to the ability to reject individual applications but still create the TLD, I think this should be kept firmly in mind while considering the application of IOD to become the .WEB registrars.
IOD have no legal right to the .WEB registry, as was proved in the Case IOD vs. CORE as far as I know that case sets a legal precedent – that IOD have no legal claim on the .WEB registry. This is a firm that has knowingly accepted registrations in breech of International and US copyright laws as well as taking users’ monies without providing any service to speak of, in addition they also refuse to refund fees paid despite lack of service provision.
If IOD’s claim is accepted I know for a fact that there will be a breach of our UK copyright the moment that the TLDs go live. We (amongst many others) will file for breach of copyright a 9am the day IOD’s services become active. This will lead to massive legal costs for ICANN, as well as IOD, whether the company can continue trading under the intense legal pressure they will come under is another question altogether.
If ICANN wish to maintain their integrity and their reputation for upholding the rights of copyright holders they must reject IOD’s claim to the .WEB registry.
Regards,
Alex Williamson
icann@q-web.co.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy