Return to tldapps Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Mon, October 23, 2000 at 11:52 PM GMT (Mon, October 23, 2000 at 4:52 PM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Yes, it is correct

I'm afraid, since you were not at the meeting nor part of the agreement, that there is no way for you to know. It's best to be sure of your facts. The fact is, IANA, in 31 July 1996, through its employees Bill Manning and Jon Postel, asked Image Online Design, Inc. to place its .Web registry in an operational mode to prove the concept, prior to inclusion in the roots via the then-established procedure. IANA not only advised IOD that it was appropriate to charge fees, but provided, through its employee Bill Manning, a disclaimer as suggested by IANA.

These are all documented facts, and I invite you to read the declarations in the 1997 lawsuit against IANA, as these facts not only were not disputed, but many of them were confirmed.

It never fails to amaze me how people like you can just come along and demand that the facts are less than true, when the documentation in the form of legal pleadings and their confirmations are out there. Witnesses to the directive also tend to disagree with you. Please, do read the newdom archives of 1996 and 1997 and see for yourself.

The reason that we're still here is because the process that IANA started begat ICANN, and continues (hence, our presence here, today).

I am glad I could clear this up for you. If you wish to continue to believe otherwise, that's your right - there are those who still believe that the Earth is flat, too.

Christopher Ambler

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy