ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals

  • To: John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Analysis of .coop, .museum, and .aero renewals
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:06:41 +0100

John R Levine ha scritto:
But then I've always thought sponsored TLDs were a bad idea.

I have to agree, particularly now that we have experience that
demonstrates that none of them attract enough registrants to be worth the
effort, although it would have been nice if .pro had worked.

Lacking sponsorship rules, setting up a domain should be like setting up a
CLEC, hit all the items on a checklist and you're in, with the easiest way
to do that being to hire a firm that specializes in setting them up.

Just for the record, I agree with your view.
Now, one also has to live with the suspect that this whole "sponsored TLD" idea was designed to delay the introduction of a quasi-automated process for new gTLDs by five years or so...
In any case, please let's be sure that we make our views heard in the new gTLD process - I think that most of the Internet world "at large" is fed up with ICANN continuing to prevent a reasonable expansion of the root.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...