ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] regional, cultural, city TLDs

  • To: "Jacqueline Morris" <jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] regional, cultural, city TLDs
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 18 Jan 2006 21:01:27 -0500

I totally agree - the role of the Board should be to set the policy and then
review it periodically, not sit and personally evaluate each applicant...
seems like they want to make work for themselves, or create a bottleneck and
discourage applicants by attrition! How long does it take now? 6 years? and
thousands and thousands of dollars!

The board's culture of secrecy makes it hard to tell what they're thinking, but the impression I get is that they are deeply divided about what to do for new TLDs, with the opinions ranging from approve none to approve everything. It's going to be a challenge for them to agree on a policy, but they really need to do it. If the debate were more open, perhaps we could even give them helpful advice. The questions Susan Crawford has been asking are a good start.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.