ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:21:28 -0400

On 14 Jul 2008, at 00:03, Milton L Mueller wrote:

So you still haven't explained why Councilors selected by Nomcom are
qualitatively different than those selected by a constituency
membership.

I thought the note I attached from Olga gave a good clue.

If a bunch of business, technical and noncommercial delegates have to
agree on appointments via the Nomcom, isn't it likely that they will
select a series of appointees who are balanced across business and
noncommercial perspectives? If so, how is that different from adding
another seat to the Commercial and Noncommercial SG?

First I would think it obvious that anyone selected by consensus by all the constituencies and others (such as the advisory groups) would be different then someone who was beholden to just one of the constituencies. To find people that a nomcom can reach consensus on requires that they not be characteristically of the type of any of the constituencies but that they be somewhat different.

Other thoughts:

- they tend to be selected not from people who are active in ICANN, but rather from people who are outside the system. E.g. before being considered by the Nomcom I had only been to a single ICANN meeting and that was as an observer from WGIG to view its multistakeholder processes. While this is not true of all Nomcom picks it is of many. Yes, they are picked by insiders, but they are picked, often, for their outsider qualities.

- the SO gives technical specification of what they think the council can use in terms of skill sets that happen to be missing from the natural selection process by constituencies.

- the Nomcom takes gender and regional issues into account and tries to establish some balance.

The nomcom provides a way for some group of people, yes mostly ICANN insiders, to try and take a global look at the council and to figure out what is missing and what could strengthen the council

There is nothing special or mystical about nomcom appointee. We are people like the rest with varied aspects, some good some less so. What makes us different are the criteria used for picking us.

I also believe that it is a fallacy to argue that insiders can only pick insiders and I never argued that insiders could only pick insiders, that is your argument. And I think that this fallacy is shown by the mix of people nomcoms have picked over the years - very few start out as insiders, and while some end up as insiders after years of service, many do not and do leave the organization once their service is done.

a.