ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:37:22 -0500

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Eric,

As I know you understand, even if there are no direct costs to
applicants for the failure you cite, the bottom line is that the
application fees could be lower if the evaluation process was less
expensive.

Chuck

Each application portfolio manager is, in effect, conducting a kind of involuntary resource denial attack on ICANN, and all applicants (its own included), by making the cost of application preparation scale.

CORE's .cat has kittens. We have contract management, and document management, and ICANN application response management costs, but we have only one and a bunch of fractional costs of actual application preparation, and that's the biggie.

We'd like to signal to ICANN that "these e-reams of paper crudely nailed together" are one application needing the standard duty of care by the evaluator, and a bunch of edits off of that single application each of which has very limited scope, and for which no standard duty of care by the evaluator is warranted outside of these very limited scopes.

We like to signal that the consumption of standard complete duty of care units by the evaluator, a limited resources, by the N-1, can be released back to the general resource pool, to be expended on other applications, reducing the cost of the evaluation process.

Unfortunately, thus far in the DAGvX process, it is ICANN's volition that its evaluation (defense) cost doesn't scale proportional to my application (attack) cost. I can't tell you how frustrating its been explaining that "independent evaluation" of identical applications is only useful, as a question of method, in observing the behavior of the evaluator, that is, as a perversely wasteful form of quality control.

Which evaluators "pass" .cat's clone? Which "fail" the same application? What is the process utility in that?

This is why I followed up on the Edmon/Avri exchange. Useful information that would lead to lower evaluation cost if used early, exists in the case of every application brought by an existing registry operator, and more generally, by any multi-application author, where past applications as well as contemporanious applications matter, even applications brought by some, though not all, ccTLD registry operators ({.de, .se} yes, {.ir, .eg} no, as a completely arbitrary example where I know the details), and in particular, applications brought by an ASCII operator for a non-Latin label, or more generally, for any set of applications which meet some "contention" test based upon the assumption that the "contending" applications are independent, not correlated.

This list's discussion mentioned in passing an area where cost savings are significant, on the order of $1m, perhaps as much as $2m. It isn't unique to IDN application, it just happens to be possible with these applications as with other applications with some characteristics.

Writing this note has made me aware that some of the ccNSO members have a material interest in the issues before this GNSO centric list. I didn't realize that before this evening, beyond the IDN technical consistency set of issues.

Eric