ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpd]

Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP

  • To: "Volker Greimann" <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Holly Raiche" <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpd] here's the little summary of that sequence of events i rattled off on the call just now -- registrant role in TDRP
  • From: "Kevin Erdman" <krerdman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 07:35:33 -0500

Hi Volker,

I agree that ownership issues are a key to this discussion.  However, when the
ownership issue only relates to a domain at a single registrar, traditional
contract principles apply and make those situations a standard contractual
dispute handled with regard to ICANN contracts and registrant-registrar
contracts.  The problem falls outside of this context when the domain is also
transferred, so that multiple parties may be involved in resolving the
ownership issue and that is the problem we are discussing—I believe that
handling unauthorized ownership changes within a registrar is not part of our
Charter.

The UDRP explicitly does not deal with who should own a domain, rather one
possible resolution of the UDRP procedure is the transfer of a domain name.
The issues that a dispute resolution panel has to deal with is the the
activities of the domain owner, the trademark rights of the complaint filer,
and the question of whether the registration and/or use of the domain is in bad
faith in light of the trademark rights.  Ownership transfer is a possible form
of relief, but not an issue that the dispute resolution panel evaluates.  From
the perspective of a registry, the UDRP involves some input and the output is
who gets to own the domain.  However, from the perspective of registrars and
registrants, the UDRP is all about the nature and extent of trademark rights
and the domain name in question.

IMO, the only similarity between resolving ownership issues and the UDRP is the
last step, that a form of relief may be a forced transfer of a domain.
Otherwise, the UDRP does not deal with the ownership issues of which we are
concerned.
Kevin R Erdman
Reichel IP LLP
212 West 10th Street, Suite D-280