ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law

  • To: <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Metalitz" <met@xxxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law
  • From: "Cheryl Preston" <PRESTONC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:08:37 -0600

I support a statement of aspiration to increase diversity of many kinds without
writing into the by-laws express rule (other than for geographic diversity).  I
recommend mentioning the kinds of diversity urged in the CSC charter:

Particular emphasis in recruiting should be focused on increasing
representation from:
a.     Each geographical region, especially those regions that have been
traditionally under-represented in ICANN structures;
b.    Countries, communities, and areas characterized by recent access to the
Internet, unsophisticated or economically challenged users, large generational
gaps in technological knowledge and skills, and lack of political clout;
c.     A variety of disciplines of study and research, including without
limitation technology, law, social science, information policy, governance, law
enforcement, political science and privacy, especially those disciplines that
have been traditionally under-represented in ICANN structures; and
d.    [Sector diversity -- i.e. ]A variety of experience, including without
limitation those working for or with universities, schools, hospitals,
governments, churches, political parties, and other large non-commercial
Internet users; researchers and scholars; child-protection advocates; parents;
consumers; domain name registrants; and public service organizations.

Cheryl B. Preston
Edwin M. Thomas
Professor of Law
J. Reuben Clark Law School
Brigham Young University
434 JRCB
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 422-2312
prestonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx> 6/5/2009 2:45 PM >>>

I can support Avri's suggestion (with a tip of the hat to Jon), with the
addition of "gender" to the list in the first sentence.

I also agree with Milton that the directive regarding "outreach
programs" needs to be clarified.  Perhaps this does not belong in the
by-laws, or at least not in this article.

Since under the terms of my contract I am not allowed to agree with
Milton and with Avri more than once a week, I will take this opportunity
to wish all a pleasant weekend.

Steve