ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-travel-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team mailing list open]

• To: Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnso-travel-dt] Travel drafting team mailing list open]
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:18:32 -0700

I have no problem with any stake-holder group choosing to use its share of the funds to support other members of the group if its councilors already have companies willing to pay their way to a meeting. But a minimum, the stake-holder groups should be allocated enough funding to send their councilors to council meetings. This is a simple cost of doing business for ICANN - to fund the functioning of its organs. I don't see the travel funding policy as either a "reward system" or "poverty-reduction" effort.

It seems several constituencies are saying they prefer to use any funds for council travel first. That should remain up to each constituency to decide for itself.

Robin

On Oct 9, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Ken Stubbs wrote:

Ken Stubbs wrote:

Robin Gross wrote:

This has been, and in my mind should continue to be, an effort to fund the participation of the GNSO Council at GSNO Council meetings.

The depth of the pockets of the individual councilors is not relevant. We are funding the participation of an ICANN organ (GNSO Council) - not specific people.
I see an inconsistency in your comments  above Robin..

you are not necessarily funding just Council Members : (see below excerpt from ICANN Revised Travel Support Procedure dated 11 August) While the calculation of travel support funding is based in part on the size of each council and its liaisons, the SO can choose to support other constituency members based on what will best serve each SO’s policy development work, e.g. working group members could be supported. In all cases, NomCom appointed members will be provided travel support, and at the same level as others receiving support (described in this travel procedure document).
Levels of travel support for each SO will be determined as follows:
ICANN will allocate sufficient funds so that the Chair, NomCom appointees, and half of the remaining counselors will receive travel support (again, travel support could be used to support other-than-counselors)

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy