ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: "'Kathy Kleiman'" <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:10:13 -0400

Kathy,

Please refer to my previous email. You need to look at the Department of
Justice and their Business Review letter, see
http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/busreview/201659a.htm

I believe PIR's previous concerns have primarily centered in the sharing of
business information a registry operator obtains, notice how the Business
Review Letter is specifically designed for the very concern that PIR has
raised, "Two of the most frequent types of business review requests the
Department has received have involved proposals to form joint ventures or to
collect and disseminate business information."

With regard to pre-approval and national competition authorities I would
specifically reference you to 3.1(d)(iv)(E) of the PIR .ORG registry
contract which states the following, " In the event ICANN reasonably
determines during the 15 calendar day "preliminary determination" period
that the Registry Service might raise significant competition issues, ICANN
shall refer the issue to the appropriate governmental competition authority
or authorities with jurisdiction over the matter"

See http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/org/registry-agmt-16jul08.htm

This is why I respectfully put forward in my last email, if the MMA proposal
is fundamentally flawed because there is no way for ICANN to refer a matter
to an appropriate national competition authority then we have much bigger
problems because the very contracts PIR, VRSN, Afilias, Neustar. etc have
entered into are fundamentally flawed.

When I was on the ICANN Board my favorite Chinese saying that use to drive
Paul Twomey and ICANN senior staff up the wall is that true gold does not
fear the refiner's fire. I appreciate the scrutiny that you and others
continue to subject the MMA proposal to, however, I respectfully submit that
it was withstood more factual based scrutiny than any other proposal. In
fact with continued research our proposal appears to grow stronger and more
viable with each passing day.

Turning to the protection of registrants which Team MMA and PIR fully
advocate and support, can you please indentify how the proposed MMA
safeguard audit would not accomplish the same common goal we both seek to
achieve.

Best regards,

Michael