ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: Kathy Kleiman <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:40:12 -0400

That's precisely the point, Kathy. Competition authorities will _not_ give you
a green light, but they _will_ give you a red light if the combination involves
big players with market power and thus requires an investigation. So, no word
from the competition authorities, no problem. The MMA proposal is better
conceived as _notification_ of competition authorities rather than as seeking
their explicit written approval. At least that's the way I understand it. And
that understanding is perfectly consistent with what you say above.  OTOH if we
are expecting to get explicit, written approval for 200+ cases of tiny little
registrar-registry combos seeking 2% shares of each other then I would agree -
the proposal doesn't work.

Indeed, I suspect that despite the dire predictions we sometimes hear on this
list, most competition authorities would laugh in your face if you suggested
that letting Enom (current registry market share: 0%, current registrar market
share ~10%) own more than 50% of a new registrar (relevant market share: 0%)
constituted a "competition policy" problem, or any of 100 other examples one
could provide.  The only players that would attract notice under such a regime
are GoDaddy, VeriSign, and some big ccTLDs. Andin those cases, the local
competition authority is in a much better position to assess consumer impact,
define the relevant market, etc.

--MM