ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: "tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:01:06 -0400

Good question, Tom

Fundamentally, Yes. By that I mean that it is not ICANN's remit or legitimate
purpose to protect or preserve the profits of any particular business. Its task
is the public interest.

> 2. should ICANN be concerned about harm to existing or future
> registrars?

No, if by "harm" you simply mean removing protections or artificial market
restrictions whose only purpose is to retain the economic viability of
companies that would not otherwise be competitive.

> 3. Does ICANN want to continue to encourage new registrars to enter the
> marketplace?  Or is it done?

ICANN should be concerned about the contestability and competitiveness of the
market, not with the number of registrars

> 4. Is there any harm to consumers if there are a lot fewer registrars
> than today?

Again, the issue is the degree of effective competition, not the number of
registrars.
If we can have intensive, efficiency-producing competition with a dozen
registrars or 1200 registrars doesn't really matter, as long as the competitive
process is working efficiently.

> 5. what if there were fewer registrars than gtld's.  Is this a healthy
> marketplace for consumers?

See answers to #3 and #4