ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:43:54 -0400

Milton,

Not to take away from your point about the protection of consumers, I would
note that the ICANN Bylaws (http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#I) state:

"5. Where feasible and appropriate, depending on market mechanisms to promote
and sustain a competitive environment.

6. Introducing and promoting competition in the registration of domain names
where practicable and beneficial in the public interest."

In number 1, below, You have spun that in your answer and equated that with
protecting profits....not a fair characterization.  But I am torn, because you
do acknowledge it in your answer to No. 3, 4 and 5 and so I think we are on the
same page.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.