ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] the "it excludes some applicants" argument
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:51:49 -0400

It's true - my initial position was that DAGv3 conditions would apply to the
initial round and we needed a PDP to settle the major policy issues regarding
SRSU, SRMU, VI and CO going forward.

Avri was the more optimistic one who thought we could resolve those big issues
in a few months.

While Avri was obviously wrong about that, it's still not clear whether we are
not better off for having tried to resolve these issues in time for the initial
round, so that all rounds of new applicants are on equal footing and more new
entry can be encouraged. It's also clear that staff, ICANN, GAC and USG are in
no hurry and it is not this VI group that is holding things up. Can you say
"MOPO?"

--MM