ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, vertical integration wg <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:40:05 -0400

While I truly respect the work that was done on that group, the realities of
this group and the interests of the parties makes me highly skeptical that that
the MAPO model could work here.  In the end, the group that worked on MAPO (or
whatever the abbreviations were), I would venture to say had no member (or if
there was, it was maybe 1 member) that was really looking to apply for a TLD
that would in our minds of most reasonably people violate morality and public
order. So in essence, everyone was really on or close to the same page.  Sure,
some in the group believed government should be more involved, some believed
less involved, but in the end, I believe most people believed that certain TLDs
were probably not in the best interest of the space. Moreover, the decisions of
that group, in the end had very little economic, financial or business impact
on existing and new players, because even if there were a couple, there were
not too many potential applicants that were worried that their string would be
impacted by the outcome.

Here, by contrast, there are a number of members of the WG that will be
directly impacted economically, financially, competitively, etc. by the results
of the WG.  And the impact could be great enough to put some existing players
or potential applicants completely out of business.

Forgive me for being a little skeptical, but what more do we think can be
accomplished in the next couple of days that we have not already tried?  Its
not as if this is the first immovable deadline we have had.

As always, I remain committed to the group.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.