ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] rev 2.19-1 after listening to the phone call.

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] rev 2.19-1 after listening to the phone call.
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:58:13 -0400

Tijani,

Comment inline.

On 10/22/10 7:09 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
No Avri, the survey is a very objective way to find the right consensus.

    *If the questions were posed in the right manner, I mean if all
    the elements were included in the question, the result of the
    survey will necessarily reflect the point of view of the WG
    members on the issue. *

    **

    *For example, for ref #2.7(a), the question was: *

    *“For-profit enterprises should not be included in the categories
    receiving aid”. And the answer should be “agreed” or “not agreed”.*

    **

    *If it was: “needy For-profit enterprises from developing
    countries should not be included in the categories receiving aid”,
    I’m sure the result will be the opposite.*

    **

    *So the problem is not in the survey principle, it’s in how it was
    done.*

I don't understand how the question even arose.

If it is an attempt to answer the conditional question Andrew Mack has posed -- "if an entity not qualified on the basis of need and external to a language community applies for a label in a script for which no other, or perhaps only one, applications exist, and so likely to be legally organized as a for-profit enterprise, then subject to some (or none, depending on when the proposal was offered) expression of support by a language community which uses the script, can that entity obtain some aid?" -- it lacks all those conditions.

I can't recall when recently the interests of a non-qualified, for-profit enterprise has been discussed, except in this very limited context.

Eric

    **

    *I’m not complaining. I want here to thank Evan for organizing the
    survey. He took the sentences where there was not consensus, and
    put them in the survey. With regard to the time constraint, I
    fully understand that we can do it in this way.*

    **

    *Last point: Under the pressure of the time constraint, we don’t
    have to give the board something that is not reflecting the view
    of the WG members. We need all to be open to any idea and any
    discussion to reach the needed consensus.*

    **

    *Thank you for your understanding*

*Tijani BEN JEMAA*

Executive Director

*M*editerranean *F*ederation of*I*nternet *A*ssociations

*Phone : *+ 216 70 825 231

*Mobile : *+ 216 98 330 114

*Fax     :*+ 216 70 825 231