ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them

  • To: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:31:08 -0400

I only partially share share Alain's POV.

Early in the JAS process we heard from applicants and supporters who have
pleaded with us to avoid the degrading, embarrassing and sometimes
ethically-challenging aspects of competitive applications. The more
subjective elements in the process, the more easily it can be gamed and the
more various needy applicants are put in a position of having to subtly
demean or undermine competing bid in order to come out on top.

I am fully in favour of the original approach that was taken -- that I was a
part of drafting -- that aimed to set a fairly high bar of eligibility, then
offering equal benefits to those who pass. The human evaluation afterwards
was mainly one of due diligence, and to expose gaming attempts that managed
to meet the criteria in letter but not in spirit. The primary obstacle to
entry was the ICANN fee structure, which is within ICANN's ability to lower
for suitable applicants. The original GNSO gTLD mandate has always
explicitly allowed for differential pricing for different kinds of
applications.

The fund idea was only added later in the mix -- in the eyes of some it
offered a way to offer extra benefits beyond the ICANN cost component, but
to others it was intended an (IMO unacceptable) total replacement.

I will not -- and the JAS group should not IMO -- let ICANN off the hook of
the unequivocal demand made by BOTH of its public-interest advisory bodies
(the GAC and ALAC) that ICANN reduce the fee-based barrier to entry for
*all* eligible applicants. The fund should be used to cover non-ICANN
expenses incurred by needs-assessed applicants; it should not be money
supplied by ICANN that is primarily designed only to be paid back into
ICANN.

The fund allocation can be useful and, by its finite nature, will require
some competitive judgments. But that can only be one part of the solution.
IMO any applicant support process that does not include at least a partial
cost-reduction component -- for all qualified applicants -- is but an
elegant sham, and the deliberate shunning of the two bodies ICANN itself
established to assert the public interest.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch
Tw: el56