ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them

  • To: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Discussion of Financial criteria and how to set them
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:59:31 -0400

So Olivier, if I understand well, there would be a "pass" mark or "a minimum
threshold" score based on "objective" criteria... Only those applications
reaching that level, would be subject to further qualitative assessments. A
two-step process...., no?

IMHO, this is an established procedure in competitive application processes
used by granting agencies and foundations when receiving numerous
applications for subsidies. When I was at IDRC and responsible for a Private
Sector Development Research Program of $4 million- we used that methodology
when IDRC/TrustAfrica, in partnership, made well over $2 million of research
grants to 70 research teams/African organizations in the Investment Climate
and Business Environment ICBE Research Fund - see
http://trustafrica.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=302&Itemid=157&lang=en
 .

This is a justified and smart process because there are limited ICANN
resources for this and we will not be able to subsidize every "worthy"
applicants but in reality onlt the best of all "worthy" applications, within
the constraint of our budget.

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA